Friday, October 17, 2014

Interim Boosters meeting October 17, 2014

Board members Present: President Kimberley Wormley, Treasurer Brian Olson, Secretary Laura Cooper, Board Member at Large Terri Marshall. 

Others Present: 4th Grade Class Rep CeRae Speidel, 5th Grade Class Rep Mike Berger, International Day Co-Chairs Nara Clark and Pia Laurie.

Kimberley called this meeting to discuss some interim Booster items. First was a short discussion of the board composition. Laura Cooper, current board member and secretary, has volunteered to step down as a voting board member but will continue to serve as secretary. This change will be put forward and voted on at the next meeting. Laura will communicate with principal McMillen to make sure he can be there at the next board meeting, as the other board composition issue is that he must put forward a staff person to serve as a board member, and this person must be duly elected as soon as can be to ensure compliance with our bylaws.

Next item was discussion of when International Day Chairs will meet and get information out to interested parents and the school community as a whole.  The Int’l Day chairs are planning to meet in late January and will put out information at that time about the event and how parents can become involved. 

Next was discussion of Electives.  Since these come up in January, the proximity necessitates information to the Teach community coming out very soon. Terrie Marshall and Mike Berger stepped forward to help Kurt Rightmeyer get information out. It has been proposed that there be a meeting on October 24th to sketch out a plan to raise up a team of parent volunteers for electives.

There is continued interest in getting the Infosnap volunteer data so that other chairs/reps/board members may know which parents have already indicated their volunteer interests. Nara indicated that the Infosnap data had already been transferred to Christine Kimball. Kimberley will follow up with Christine. 

Mike Berger moved that the Boosters add a Teach Boosters budget line item of $300 for International Day. Brian Olson seconded the motion which carried with all board members present (4 board members) in favor, none opposed or abstaining.  Mike Berger moved that the Boosters add a budget line item of $500 for Electives. Kimberley seconded the motion which passed with all board members present (4 board members) in favor, none opposed or abstaining. 

There was discussion of recess equipment, but this topic was tabled until Principal McMillen can be present to help guide options in terms of safety concerns, etc.

There was discussion of how all the classes were doing in terms of pledge forms. Laura will contact Wendy Sylvester, 5th grade room rep, to see if Wendy can email parents in a way similar to CeRae’s contact with 4th grade parents, to raise awareness of need for those forms being returned so that the Boosters know what all families’ needs are in terms of assistance or ability to donate funds.  Kimberley will follow up individually with families who will follow up individually with families who have neither turned in a pledge form nor submitted a pledged donation.  Brian will send the latest numbers on monies collected, pledge forms received by class to all board members and reps/chairs so that they have this information when talking with parents. 

There was a question about what teachers wanted in terms of class parties for the year; CeRae will check and see what teachers have decided about parties for the year as teachers were going to select dates for class parties.  She will bring this information to the November meeting. 

CeRae reported that she has been organizing GoogleDocs and making new folders organized by year so that the most recent info can be more easily located.  She asked for feedback from people in terms of if this was making it easier to find items to assist in the process. The immediate reaction was one of gratitude for CeRae having taken on such a worthy and onerous task. 

Kimberley has been cleaning out the Boosters storage area, and found a cache of outdated electronic equipment.  She will put an announcement out to the Teach Community to see if anyone has a claim to any of it; what is not collected by the end of December will be donated or otherwise disposed of.  She also has found boxes full of outdated financial records, which will be shredded if the records are older than 7 years.  Wendy Sylvester has offered the shredding services of DocuTeam for this. Kimberley will bring boxes to the Nov. Boosters Board meeting so that people can assist with pre-shredding prep after the meeting wraps up. 

There being no further business, Laura Cooper moved that the meeting be adjourned; Mike Berger seconded the motion with all present in favor, none opposed or abstaining.

Respectfully submitted,

Laura Cooper, Boosters Club secretary

Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Halloween Carnival at the Elks Lodge

Looking for a safe alternative to traditional trick-or-treating?  Go to the Elks halloween Carnival at the Elks Lodge in San Luis Obispo! One night only, October 31, 6-9:30 PM. Best of all, it's FREE!  


Farmer's Night Halloween Night
Come on down to our own downtown Farmer's Market on Thursday, October 30, for Downtown Trick-or-Treat!  Safe and fun trick-or-treating in participating downtown businesses from 5:00-8:00 PM.  Costume prizes, pumpkins on parade and much more!  Click here for more information.

Monday, October 6, 2014

Cal Poly STRIDE and SLO Regional Rideshare are partnering with Teach Elementary to model healthy, active ways for kids to commute to school. Join Principal McMillen and the rest of the International Walk to School Day Team at the SLO Vets Hall 
8 am this Wednesday, October 8. 

Walk from home or... Park-and-Walk beginning at the Vets Hall.

The team consists of our walking school bus 'driver' Principal McMillen, parent volunteers (all welcome), plus six Cal Poly students who are looking forward to modeling healthy, active ways for kids to commute to school.

Friday, October 3, 2014

October 3, 2014 Teach Boosters Board Meeting

Board members present: Kimberley Wormley (Pres), Melinda Keller (VP), Kurt Rightmyer (VP), Brian Olson (Treas) and Laura Cooper (Sec)
Board members absent: Terrie Marshall, Robyn O’Leary
Other attendees: CeRae Spiedel, Nara Clark, Mike Berger, Vanessa Rizzo, Teresa Larson (library tech for Teach)

Kimberley opened the meeting by mentioning that the current board needs reconfiguring in order to be in compliance with our current bylaws. We will explore options and resolve this at the November meeting.  She also mentioned that Kate Stevens (Teach mom) is now Public Relations Chair. Kate will write a letter thanking key players for their involvement in helping Teach be Teach in its new location and will work on building relationships with SLOCA, the neighborhood, etc.
The minutes from the 9-5-14 meeting were reviewed, amended, approved.  Kurt moved to accept the minutes as amended, Kimberley seconded the motion which passed with all in favor, none opposed or abstaining. 
Teresa Larson, the library tech at Teach, was present and introduced herself.  She is onsite 10:30 to 2:30, but may adjust her hours to be available after school. She gave a quick update about the library; shelving is still not here. Kimberley handed Teresa a Scholastic order form (see attached) and Janet Crabb email (see attached) informing of Battle Books and other classroom library additions that had been purchased using Boosters credit balance from last year’s Scholastic book fair. Teresa’s email is:
Brian then gave the Treasurer’s report (see attached); he said that we should have budget vs. actuals at the Nov. meeting.  Brian touched on parent participation for pledges; see attached information from Brian. There was discussion of possible email to the entire Teach community ahead of the October 10th pledge deadline, as a reminder for parents who have not yet returned their pledge forms indicating if they need support, scholarship, etc.)  There was discussion of having additional pledge forms at various events such as the Chili Cook-off.  Brian said that he is working with the accountant to determine whether or not donations can be tax deductible.
Melinda (who is the Assemblies Rep as well as co-VP) spoke about the variety of events she has identified for assemblies; she will email her list of upcoming assemblies to the board. In concert with Mr. McMillen, she has scheduled about one per month, the 3rd Thursday of each month.
Chili cook-off: Nara needs items on loan from parents as this evening event will be held outside along the front of the classrooms.  She circulated a list that included: outdoor lights, folding tables, extension cords, power strips.  There was discussion of need for a parking attendant (with balloon—Vanessa will provide) in our lot and in the SLOCA lot which we may use.  Suzanne Mulay and family have said that they will graciously donate their Crystal Springs water for Boosters events.
Discussion returned to how to tactfully remind parents about returning their pledge forms, making sure to communicate in a way that acknowledges that some parents may not be in a position to make the donation suggested on the form.  The information should make sure that parents know that the Boosters want all families to communicate their needs (scholarships, etc.) regardless of their ability to make the recommended donation.
Vanessa will place a scrip order as thank you gift cards for some of the folks that helped with the Pancake Breakfast at the Elks Club.
Shade: Jim Schimmer and Mr. McMillen are working on long term shade solutions. Janet forwarded a request for umbrellas totaling about $500. Brian said we have a general assistance category that this could come out of; those present were positively disposed to authorize those funds. Mike will go ahead and purchase the umbrellas and submit the receipt for reimbursement.
Vanessa passed out a copy of a letter (see attached) from a local neighborhood action group detailing their stance on potential impacts on the surrounding neighborhoods of construction of freshman dormitories on Cal Poly property.
Chipotle fundraiser on Oct 14, Madonna Road Chipotle: Mike said that there is a 50% return rate on the money generated. He said another way to contribute to Teach is for people to sign up for Amazon Smile, which will give 5% of each purchase to Teach. 
Kimberley has just become aware that October 8th is international walk to school day. There is support from SLO Regional Rideshare and Cal Poly STRIDE, and the plan is to meet at the Vets Hall at 8 am and walk together.
CeRae (4th grade rep) reported that Mr. Crabb thinks that the holiday Big Brothers/Big Sisters event which was done in conjunction with Bishops Peak would be a great thing for the Boosters to be involved with.  In discussion, the idea came up to perhaps do this in conjunction with SLOCA. A chairperson needs to be identified for this event.
Kimberley mentioned that there are now staff liaisons for many school-wide events (see attached).  Laura will ask Sunshine to post these.
Kurt will coordinate with International Day Chairs (Nara Clark, Eva Garcia-Gonzalez, and Pia Laurie) to inform parents about both International Day and Electives and encourage parents to volunteer for these events.

Laura moved to adjourn the meeting; Kurt seconded the motion with all present in favor. 

Respectfully submitted,

Laura Cooper, secretary for Teach Boosters

Staff Reps for Teach Events
Science Fair
We are not doing this, this year, right?
Student Council (2)
Erin Serafin & Angie
Shawna Robson
Talent Show
Shawna Robson/Erin Serafin
Volunteer Tea
Guy Crabb
Erin Serafin
Boosters, McMillen, Mrs. Keller
Geo Bee
Erin Serafin
Vicki Woehrle
6th Grade Play
Rex Lanier, Vicki Woehrle
Union Rep
Vicki Woehrle
Battle of the Books
International Day