Friday, May 18, 2012

Teach Boosters Meeting Minutes May 2012

Teach Booster Meeting Minutes
 May 4, 2012

Attendees: Doris Kim, Paige Wright, Taffy Gonzalez, Sunshine Cowgill, Nara Clark, Summer Kabaker, Marie Newmann, Morgan Robertson, Chantal Blanchard, Idona Cabrinha, Kurt Rightmyer, Altee Vigil, Mr. Block, and Jocelyn Leonard.

The meeting was called to order at 8:35 a.m.

 Jobs descriptions were e-mailed out this morning for next month’s elections. Penny wars is currently being planned. The student council checking account is still not open. We are waiting for the advisor to sign on. The remaining bank accounts are consolidated.

 Grade Representatives: Nara, representing the 5th grade reported that Ms. Stratton went to the 5/6 class to talk with the kids about some issues they are currently having. It was reported that she also talked to the 6th grade class. Everyone is getting ready for the STAR testing, and the Battle of the Books contest. International Day went really well, and was enjoyed by all. The 4th grade reported that the planter for Ms. Robson’s class is now done. The 6th grade enjoyed their Challenge Day. They will soon go to the Rosicrucian Museum.

 Financial Report: Altee let us know that the CD’s have been moved. One is for $33, 066.44, and another is $10,000. We have $5 in our community account, and $13, 945.67 in our checking account before we pay our bills. There is currently a bill to be paid waiting in the office. Upcoming expenses to be paid include the bus for the Rosicrucian Museum, the 6th grade play, the waterslides/pool end of the year parties, etc. In 2010, we started the school year off with an $11,000 bill to be paid to the school district. All of our bills will be paid up for this school year. However, sometimes bills come in during the summer break, so next year’s treasurer will have to be ready for that. The estimated bills we have out at this time are for approximately $6000. We have money to pay the bills. There won’t be a lot of money left over for the start of the new school year, but money will come in quickly for the 4th and 6th grade trips, which come up early in the school year. A down payment is due at the beginning of the school year for these trips. This is paid for by the Boosters. Expenses are a little more than income at this point in the year. We still need to get the rest of the money in for the trips that people took this year, but have not paid for. A final bill will be sent out for people who have not paid for their trips. There is still money coming in from the auction. We need to budget $1600 for the Lasik for next year’s auction.

Teacher’s Report: Mr. Crabb came in to talk to us. He is taking his kids on a Historical Walk. The Grease play is coming along nicely. The end of the year party for the 4th and 5th grade will be at Sinsheimer pool and park on June 13th . Parents are welcome to come and help. The last day of school there will be an awards ceremony. There is a band concert on the 30th. The kids will be playing at the high school that night.

Principal’s Report: The limo/lunch was fun with the March-a-thon winners. The first Teach lottery was held last week. There will be 32 kids in the straight grade classes, and 31 in the splits. There will be lots of cuts in the school districts’ budget next year. There are 14 kids on the waiting list for Teach for next year. As for the 6th grade play, we will check out costs for other director’s/options next year. The costs keep going up each year.

March-a-thon: We made $9000, but the cost of the limo/lunch will come out of that. Thanks Summer for chairing this event, it was a lot of fun!

Auction: Thanks Taffy! You did a great job! We made $16,035. Our goal was $10,000, so great job! Our expenses are $315.77 plus money for Pacific Eye. Some expenses will still be coming in. Taffy will get 21 thank you cards for Summer for the March-a-thon. Taffy is making thank you cards for the auction. We used Square and PayPal, which worked well for the auction. There is a slight charge to us: 2.7%. This is the service fee. People can pay for their student trips on their credit cards, etc. We do not have to have a contract with Square or PayPal, we can just use it whenever we want it.

Yearly Audit: One is needed every year. We have not done one before. We thought the accountant handled it. This is not the case. Do we want to hire an accountant or form a committee for this? Our accountant estimates the cost of hiring it out to be $5000. We need to do an audit once a year. Bishop’s Peak audits their accounts every month. Doris thinks this can be done in house each month. Doris was asked about being the auditor. She said she would think about it. Taffy suggested that we make Auditor one of the jobs for next year. Doris asked Altee if things are all reconciled at this point. She said not quite, but she is working on it. Marie is nominated for treasurer for next year. This year is mostly done and reconciled. The Quickbooks procedure is tricky, but Altee and Sunshine are making progress. Taffy suggested that we put the word out to see if any parents work in accounting or bookkeeping. Nara thinks we should hire someone to catch us up and do the first audit. Marie agrees. There was a lot of discussion about this. Marie is checking with a friend who is a bookkeeper about the cost of it all. Sunshine is also checking with someone that the accountant recommended. While we are waiting to figure out the auditing question, we will keep reconciling on our own. Idona volunteered to meet with Altee 2 times a week for 3 weeks to reconcile the books to get ready for an audit. Altee accepted her offer of help. Chantal, Marie and Summer also offered to help out. We will put out our feelers to see if we have any parents that could help with the audit. Summer moved to add auditor to our job list for the future. Marie seconded the motion. All were in favor.

Taffy moved to have Room Parent Coordinator become a job as well. Marie seconded the motion. All were in favor.

Paige made a suggestion that ½ the money raised from GLScript go to student accounts as a way to get people more involved. Food for thought for next year.

There will be a budget meeting on Wednesday morning at 8:30 with Mr. Block to finalize the budget recommendations to be made for next year. This will be brought up again at the June meeting. The June meeting is an all member meeting. (All parents are members by the way.) It will be June 8. We will elect nominees at that date for the new board.

Battle of the Books will be June 1.

There was some discussion about adding a Financial Secretary to the board. The financial secretary will keep track of Quickbooks, and the treasurer keeps track of the bank account. That would give them two sets of eyes for everything. With all the student accounts, there is just too much work for one person. Marie moves that we add financial secretary to the job list. Summer seconds the motion. Nara suggested that we nominate people for the next year earlier in the year. All agreed.

Meeting adjourned at 10:35 a.m.

Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Teach Booster Club Meeting April 2012 Minutes

Teach Booster Club Meeting Minutes
April 20, 2012

Attendees:  Taffy Gonzalez, Altee Vigil, Riana Baxter, Lori Shields, Sunshine Cowgill, Ioona Carpenha, Chantal Blanchard, Marie Newmann, Summer Kabaker, Denise Jenkins, Dan Block, and Jocelyn Leonard.
The meeting was called to order at 8:35 a.m. Riana moved to approve the March minutes, Iona seconded the motion.  All were in favor. 
Financial Report:  There is $700 in the Student Council fund.  The money will stay put until we find out what is happening with the student council.  This is at SBBT.  We also have $1395.24 at this bank, in a CD.  At Coast Hills we have $48,258.99.  We also have a CD worth $10,012.72 here, for a total of $58,271.72.  All of the bills have been paid, with the exception of two bills which have just come in.  The District is all paid up.  We have a credit card for the Derby.  It will direct deposit the money directly into our checking account, with no fee.  It is called “Square” for Droid, iPhone, etc.  Your sign for your Derby purchase on the phone, and then get an e-mail receipt sent to you with your signature on it.  There is a 2.7% fee on purchases.  Taffy moved that we add a convenience fee to the bill for Credit Card purchases, so that we don’t lose money.  This will not be for auction items though.  It will be for student accounts only…i.e. paying for student trips, etc.   Chantal seconded the motion.  All were in favor. 
Student Council:  There will be a movie afternoon the first Friday in May.  Popcorn will be served.  Penny Wars is coming up the week after STAR testing.  STAR testing starts May 8.  It will run on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday or two weeks. 
Principal’s Report:  The 6th grade play is coming up.  It will be Grease this year.  The cost of the play will be $3000 this year, due to 50% more students.  This fee goes to the director, costumes, sets, play rights, etc.  There was some discussion regarding whether the play is something we want to continue doing each year.  It appears that it is. 
Chantal had a question regarding yearbook funds.  Mrs. Jones needs money for the yearbooks. 
Class Representatives:  Lori had no new news from Mr. Crabb’s class.  Ms. Robson will be taking over the student council.  She has some questions about the student council money.  The money is to be separated out into a separate account for student council.  Mrs. Robson can get records from Lisa Hargrave and money information from Altee.  Next year’s student council will have their own bank account. 
Mr. Block let us know that there will be a 6th grade parent coffee with the Jr. High principal coming up, so that parents will get to know more about Jr. High, and want to stay involved in middle school. 
March-a-thon:  We raised $9007.52! 
Auction:  Auction is tomorrow night!  The programs are all done, and the tickets are sold out.  Central Coast Gymnastics is also sold out.  There are money things to bid on.  The goal is to raise $10,000. 
Sundial:  Booster club will not be able to pay any money toward the sundial from two years ago, unless we get a request from student council.
Applebee’s Fundraiser:  We made $1200.  $1000 goes toward Math Day, leaving $200 left over.  There was a lengthy discussion regarding if the money was to be spent on Math Day, or on software, and on the budget in general.  There were questions about where the money goes, and where it comes from.  Lori requested that we see the budget at each meeting.  There will be a budget meeting next month, to get everyone up to speed on our budget. 
Teacher’s Report:  Mrs. Jones came in to represent the teachers.  International Day is next Friday.  We need someone to organize it next year.  Regarding the yearbook…it will be done May 14.  Chantal and Suzanne Mulay have been working really hard on it.  Thank you Chantal and Suzanne!  The cost to make the yearbook is $12, and it will be sold for $18 to help cover all costs.  There will be a same family discount. 
Regarding the 6th grade play, more money is needed this year, due to the increased number on students.  Mrs. Jones was asked if she felt that the 6th grade play was warranted, or just too much work.  She said that she thinks it is definitely worthwhile, and that the director does most of the work.  We are going to need to do another fundraiser to help pay the extra costs of the play, since the amount is higher than we budgeted for.  Taffy said she would look into New Frontier’s % fundraiser.  There is also the option of Teaberry, which is a local yogurt shop downtown.  They will pick a day or a week and give a % of sales to your organization.  There is currently money in the bank accounts to pay for the play and the yearbook, so these fundraisers will be for next year, to replenish our account.  The play will be May 22.  Angelia is working on a bake sale to be held at the play, to help raise money.  Marie volunteered to help.  Contact Suzanne if  you can help. 
Book Fair:  Book Fair raised $1256.76!  Thank you Chantal!   
New Board Members for Next Year:  We need a President, Vice President, Secretary, Treasurer, and three grade representatives.  Treasurer may become a two person job.  One would be the Treasurer, and one the Financial Secretary.  Mr. Block is an executive board member.  A staff member is needed at each meeting.  Sunshine will consolidate the job descriptions.  Summer offered to help type them up.  The lottery is on Tuesday for next year’s students.  So far the nominees we have for next year are:  Summer for President, and Chantal for Vice President.  If anyone has any nominees for any of the postions, or would like to nominate themselves, please let a board member know.  We could use everyone’s input and help.  Sunshine will e-mail and type up a flyer for the general population to see if there are any more nominees. 
The meeting was adjourned at 10:40 a.m.